(This article is also available in Dutch, Android Froyo (2.2) handmatig op HTC Desire installeren on my Dutch Android Pro site.)
HTC has released the Android 2.2 Froyo update for the HTC Desire in the Netherlands in the beginning of August. However, up until now, my Desire still reports that there are “no updates available”. And I’m aching to play with Froyo and all it’s nice new features and improvements!
It appears that HTC has retracted the update in the Netherlands, eventhough I haven’t been able to find anything official on this. HTC isn’t responding on twitter either.
Fortunately it’s not too hard to do the upgrade manually. The procedure below is only meant for unbranded devices, i.e. those that you didn’t buy from your service provider, unlocked:
- Download the update
- Copy the update to your sdcard and rename it to “update.zip”
- Shutdown your phone
- Start your phone again, keep the volume-down button pressed while pressing the power button.
- After a while you will see a menu. Use the volume-down button to highlight the “recovery” option and select it using the power button
- After a while you will see a /!\ symbol. Press volume-up and the power button simultaneously.
- A new menu will appear. Highlight the option “Apply sdcard:update.zip”, again using the volumn up/down and powerbutton for navigation.
- Once the installation is finished, chose “reboot system now”. This may take a while and once the device boots again additional installation will take place.
Android will make backups automatically and will restore the backup once the upgrade is complete. But it never hurts to make a copy of anything that’s important on your device, i.e. photo’s, text messages, etc. Of course, this whole upgrade procedure is fully at your own risk!
I’ve completed the procedure above flawlessly (you will need to be a bit patient during certain steps). It does seem that not having sufficient internal storage may cause the installation to fail or loop endlessly. In this case, uninstall some applications first.
#6 should be up volume button
Comment by Mark — Sep 8, 2010 9:04:00 PM
Comment by ivo — Sep 9, 2010 8:18:10 AM
Is this Update file for EU/Asia version or AUS/ US. Is it in English or other language
Comment by Ashutosh — Oct 2, 2010 3:22:34 PM
It’s a european / english firmware, to be used with european / dutch telco’s
Comment by ivo — Oct 2, 2010 9:35:14 PM